The Liberty Memorial is placed on "Vesterbrogade"
opposite the Grand Central Station - and
was erected in 1797 - on its present location
- which was at that time far outside the ramparts of the city.
Five years earlier Prince Frederik - later
King Frederik VI (1768-1839 - King of Denmark and Norway 1808-1839)
had laid the foundation stone in 1792 - as
a symbolic gesture to commemorate the abolishment
of adscription (stavnsbåndets
ophævelse) in 1788. Adscription
was introduced in Denmark in 1733 - binding
the farmers and workers to the estate - where they were born
and preventing them from leaving the properties without the
permission of the landowners.
Gift from Reform-Seeking Citizens
The Liberty monument was given as a gift in
1791 - to the city from the bourgeoisie of Copenhagen
together with reform-seeking citizens - who wished to celebrate
the formal freedom of the farmers that were lawfully tied
up with their landowners. The Liberty Memorial was also erected
by the people to honour King Christian VII
(1749-1808 - King of Denmark and Norway 1766-1808) for abolishing
adscription and for his efforts on supporting agricultural