Being one of four Catholic parish churches, the church was
handed over to the German-speaking congregation in Copenhagen
in the year 1585 by King Frederik
II (1534-1588 - ruled Denmark and Norway 1559-1588).
During the 17th century - the church was extended with an
extra transept at the north end in 1631 (where
the organ is situated today) and a south transept (where the
main entrance is today) in 1634. King
Christian IV (1577-1648 - ruled Denmark and Norway
1588-1648) created the cruciform style church of today - which
once again frames the church service. After 60 years - the
building was too small for the congregation - and during the
reign of King Christian V (1646-1699 - ruled
Denmark and Norway 1670-1699) yet another north transept was
added and called "Christian Vs - Sal". The last
rebuilding of the church was after the fire in 1728
- and bombardment of Copenhagen in 1807.
The prestigious copper spire was erected in 1757.