Helligåndskirken - Copenhagen

*A Part of the Danish Cultural Heritage*
 
 

 

 

 

 

Helligåndskirken
Return Interactive Map Sightseeing Index Return previous
 
Online & Onsite Sightseeing - Copenhagen
 
 
Helligåndskirken - The Church of The Holy Ghost
 
 
 
See - if time
 
The Holy Ghost Church in the medieval part of Copenhagen, originated from the thirteenth century.

Helligåndskirken - The Church of the Holy Ghost
The Church of the Holy Ghost - is one of the oldest churches in Copenhagen - and situated on the pedestrian street “Strøget” - close to Amagertorv. Some of the church buildings are more than 500 years old - and once the church served as a monastery with its own hospital.

Church in Renaissance and Baroque Style
The earlier Gothic church was built in the 13th century - and the last church was built 1878-81 - on the old foundations in Renaissance style - replacing the Baroque church that was built after the destructing fires of Copenhagen in 1728.

 
Church of the Holy Ghost - 1912
Painting of Copenhageners on a winter day at Amagertorv from 1912 by Paul Fischer - with the Church of the Holy Ghost in the background - and the horse driven tram car from Frederiksberg Lines in the crowd.
The Church Gate Portal - 1850
Legendary painting from 1850 by David Mimiers of soldiers returning from the Three Years' War in 1849 between Denmark and northern Germany, at the entrance of the Church of the Holy Ghost.
 
Portal and Tower
The impressive portal in genuine Renaissance style is the oldest part of the present church - and was a gift from King Christian IV (1577-1648 - ruled Denmark and Norway 1588-1648) in 1630. The church tower is a reconstruction from 1582 - and completed around 1880.
 
The Front Church Portal - 1630
The impressive portal in genuine Renaissance style from 1630 with the monogram of King Christian IV. See also top photo.
Original carved wooden doors - 1630
The decoration on the wooden doors are carved with symbols from the holy Bible - and is the original access to the church from 1630.
 
The Monastery
The monastery was built in the late 15th century beside the church with a Gothic wing - and known as “Helligåndshuset” (House of Holy Sprit) - which makes it the most large medieval building in Copenhagen - and the only building around the church complex that survived the great fires of the city in 1728.

The Hospital
For several years the monastery functioned as a hospital after the Protestant Reformation in Denmark 1536 - until a new hospital was taken into function at Vartorv in 1607 - when the great plague razed Copenhagen with many casualties. The buildings were then used as a city prison and reformatory - after these dreadful events.

 
The Baroque Altar Piece - 1727
The Baroque altar piece from 1727 - with the painting of the Ascension - together with the marble font from 1827 - made by sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen.
The 75-stop organ from 1877
The 75-stop organ from Marcussen & Son at the Holy Ghost Church stems from 1877 - and rebuilt several times, last in 1977.
 
The Church building and interior
The church is constructed as a three-aisled basilica under a single roof. The pulpit is from 1879 - and the Baroque altar piece with the painting of the Ascension is from 1727. The marble font was made in 1827 by famous great Danish sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen (1770-1844).
Bertel Thorvaldsen

Cultural events
Beside normal church services the facilities is a gathering point for many concerts and related cultural activities.

 
Location
The Church of The Holy Ghost is located in the medieval part of Copenhagen and right on The Pedestrian Street “Strøget” - just 20 minutes of walk from the Town Hall Square. The Church is just a few blocks away from Amager Torv (Amager Square) - and Christiansborg Palace.
 

The Church of The Holy Ghost

Address
Helligåndskirken
The Church Of The Holy Spirit
(Mediaeval Church)
Niels Hemmingsens Gade 5
1153 Copenhagen K

The Pedestrian Street “Strøget”

The Church of The Holy Ghost
(Helligåndskirken)
 
 
 
Return Interactive Map Sightseeing Index Return previous
 
l
Copenhagen-Portal © - Sponsored and operated by GBM MARKETING ApS - Disclaimer