Axeltorv - Copenhagen

Welcome to Copenhagen Interactive Map
 
 

 

 

 

 

Axeltorv
Return Interactive Map Sightseeing Index Return previous
 
Online & Onsite Sightseeing - Copenhagen
 
 
Axeltorv - Copenhagen (Axeltorv Square)
 
 
 
See - if time
 
The previous Scala building from 1989 - on Axeltorv with the old circus building from 1885 - at the back. Today the building is demolished - and the owners are preparing a new building site for future hotel and congress facilities on this historical Axeltorv venue - just opposite Tivoli Gardens.
 
Axeltorv (Axel Square)
The area around the Axeltorv Square is a historic spot in Copenhagen - and was once corn fields and meadows outside the ramparts and fortification of the city - with the major roads and lanes leading to the main four gateway of the town. Vesterport (Western Gate) - Østerport ("Eastern Gate") - Nørreport ("Northern Gate") and Amagerport ("Amager Gate").
 
Vesterport in 1845 - was one of four gates leading in to Copenhagen, with the ramparts of Schacks Bastion and the Kings Mill at the back. Vesterport gate was demolished in 1857 - and was placed where the exciting Town Hall is located.
Roskildevej in 1853 - at Frederiksberg bakke (hill) was one of the main roads to Copenhagen via Vesterport gate into the inner city. The road merged with Vesterbrogade and passed the later Axeltorv Square.
 
Vesterport Gate
Traffic entering and leaving Copenhagen had to pass through the city’s four narrow town gates, which was the only access into the old city. The Axeltorv area is located west of the city center and outside the Western Gate (”Vesterport’’). During the 1840s it was decided to dismantle the ring of fortifications in the inner city moving the capital area’s defenses further out and allowing the city to expand by opening up the development of many new city districts - which caused a considerable growth in Nørrebro - Vesterbro and Frederiksberg.
 
Vesterbrogade crowded in 1867 - with the Liberty Memorial and the end and the high Tivoli gate entrance on the left. The Axeltorv Square was later placed opposite the Tivoli complex.
The area at Axeltorv Square in 1902 - with the new National Scala theatre from 1882 - to the right and the circus building from 1885 beside. To the left is the second Central Station from 1864.
 
Tivoli and the second Central Station
The Vesterbro area where Axeltorv is situated was one of the fastest growing communities around Copenhagen in the 1840s - and the first major establishment that was built here was Tivoli Gardens with a variety of attractions. The next major building complex was the first Central Station built in 1847 - which was too little from the very start and replaced in 1864 - with a new Central Station on the opposite area where the present Palads Cinema is located. The former open square was a part of the second Central Station approach from 1864 - where the main entrance to the station faced towards Tivoli Gardens.
 
Axeltorv Square in 1893 - with the National theatre to the left and Tivoli's entrance portal in front. The square was a central traffic junction due to the nearby location of the Central Station. The tramcars were horse driven at that time and operated on long routes through the city.
The second Central Station approach was a part of the later Axeltorv Square - and was replaced by he third Central Station in 1911. Tramcar no. 4 was one of the first electric tramcars in Copenhagen that went from the station all the way to Klampenborg north of the city.
 
Axeltorv as a traffic centre and National Scala
The Axeltorv Square was beginning to take form as a main traffic centre - and in 1882 - a new theatre building called the National Scala was inaugurated on the same location where the now demolished Scala-building was placed. The former Scala-complex from 1953 to 1987 - was once a well known department store called Anva. In 1989 the present Scala complex was opened with shops - restaurants - fitness centre - cinemas - discotheques etc. - and was finally flatten in 2012 - to be replaced by a new hotel and congress centre - right in the center of town.

Circus building and World Cinema
In 1885 a new permanent round circus building with a dome was built in the corner of the square and opened in 1886. Up to 1990 - circus shows have been performed regularly - and from the early 1970s during the winter period - the circus building was changed to a grand cinema called World Cinema. Today the building is used for dinner and dance shows.

 
The so called circus building from 1885 - on Axeltorv Square in 1953. During the winter period the circus building was changed to a grand cinema theatre called World Cinema. The last circus performance was conducted in 1988.
From 1953 to 1987 - the department store Anva was situated in the building of the former National theatre on Axeltorv Square - and in 1989 the present Scala complex opened after a thorough restoration.
 
Axeltorv formally established in 1917
In 1917 - the Axeltorv Square was formally established and named after the founder of Copenhagen Bishop Absalon. In 1911 - Copenhagen inaugurated its third Central Station located at its present location - and replaces the second Central Station at Axeltorv.
 
The Palads Cinema on Axeltorv Square in 1918 - is the largest cinema of its type in Denmark. The building is located exactly where the former second Central Station from 1864 - was placed - and has since the operated as a cinema.
The Palads Cinema operates with 17 screens - and is the most colourful landmark in the city. At the back of the picture is the Town Hall and Scala building with the circus building to the left and Axelborg to the right.
 
Palads Cinema and Tango Jalousie
In 1918 the present Palads Cinema was built as the largest in Denmark. In 1979 the gigantic cinema complex was renovated and installed with 17 separate screens - and the latest in surround sound and comfortable seating. The building was painted in numerous colours in 1989 - and is one of the most colourful landmarks in the city. In 1921 - the celebrated Danish composer Jacob Gade (1879-1963) - was the leader of the orchestra of the Palads Cinema - and in 1925 he composed the world famous music piece - Tango Jalousie (Jealousy) - as an accompaniment to a silent film.
Video:
See video presenting Tango Jalousie
 
The composer and violinist Jacob Gade - who composed the world famous music piece Tango Jalousie in 1925 - as the leader of the cinemas orchestra.
The interior of the Palads cinema in 1918 - where Jacob Gade created Tango Jalousie - and other music arrangements to accompany silent movies.

Tango Jalousie became a great international hit - when it was launched in 1925 - and is played every minute somewhere around the world.

 
Axelborg
The last building to be built around Axeltorv Square was the Axelborg complex in 1920. Today the building is the headquarters for the Danish Meat Association - and the premises are also used as a conference centre with several restaurants at the ground level.
 
The massive Axelborg complex in 1932 - was the last of the historic building that was built around Axeltorv Square in 1920. The present building houses the Danish Meat Association and considerable conference facilities.
Axeltorv Square is one of the busiest spots in the city of Copenhagen and especially on Friday and Saturday nights - the whole walking street area seems like one enjoyable party. Former Scala to the left and Tivoli in front.
 
 
Axeltorv a playground for entertainment
Since its establishment and up to date - Axeltorv Square has been recognised as a playground for entertainment and centre point for amusements in the very heart of Copenhagen - surrounded by historic buildings with attraction venues - shopping arcades - a variety of small and big restaurants - dinner and show entertainment - amusement park - music and hot nightlife - cinemas and theatres and most of all one of the busiest spots and walking street areas in Copenhagen - a active plaza for fun-seekers and -lovers. Today the former Scala Building is destroyed - and ready for new challenges. The square is still a bustling venue and a very hot meeting place right in the middle of town.
 
Location
Axeltorv is located near Tivoli - Circus Building - Palads Cinema - Axelborg - Central Station - Vesterport Station - SAS-Hotel - Liberty Memorial - Town Hall Square.
 
Axeltorv

Address
Axeltorv
1609 Copenhagen V

Trains - Vesterport Station - Central Station

Axeltorv
 
 
Return Interactive Map Sightseeing Index Return previous

 

Copenhagen-Portal © - Sponsored and operated by GBM MARKETING ApS - Disclaimer